Castro headed for surgery

Astros catcher Jason Castro, who injured his right knee stepping awkwardly on first base in Wednesday’s game against the Tigers, flew to Houston on Thursday and was scheduled to have surgery at 7:30 a.m. CT Friday. The procedure will be performed at The Methodist Hospital by team medical director Dr. David Lintner.

It’s unknown how long Castro will be sidelined, but he remained optimistic as he left Osceola County Stadium and headed to the Orlando airport.

“There’s nothing that can change it,” he said. “I’m trying to stay positive and really looking to start the rehab process and get back to playing.”

Players who have undergone similar surgeries have been out of action anywhere from four to six weeks, which means there’s a chance Castro could begin the regular season on the disabled list. The Astros have five healthy catchers remaining in camp, including Humberto Quintero and J.R. Towles.

Quintero appeared in 88 games last year as the backup, and Towles was the Opening Day catcher a year ago, but was sent to the Minor Leagues lost most of the year with a finger injury. Non-roster invitee Carlos Corporan could get more playing time.

Wade said likes the catching depth in camp, but he’d be open to bringing in another catcher to add to the mix.

“We always look to try to improve the club if we could,” he said. “If there’s an opportunity to do something, we’d be open to it. It’s so early right now, so we’ll just have see what.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 72 other followers

%d bloggers like this: