Astros-Red Sox postgame notes
Here are some postgame notes from the Astros’ 7-5 loss to the Red Sox, who scored six runs in the seventh inning Friday night:
• RHP Bud Norris went 6.0 innings, allowing 4 runs on 4 hits and 4 walks and did not factor into the decision…he struck out 10 hitters, marking his 4th career double-digit strikeout game and his 2nd this season (also, 5/1/11 vs. MIL-11K).
• CF Michael Bourn singled and scored in each of the 1st 2 innings, both times being driven in by RF Hunter Pence…Pence has now driven in Bourn 25 times this season, which is more more times than any other player has driven in a teammate in 2011.
• By collecting his 1st inning single, Bourn extended his hitting streak to 10 games, his 2nd 10+ gamer this season…during the streak, Bourn is hitting .357 (15×42) with 4 doubles, 1 triple, 6 steals and 3 RBI.
• Pence entered tonight’s game ranked T-7th in RBI in the National League and extended his season total 55 with 2 more RBI tonight…he is on pace for 107 RBI this season.
• LF Carlos Lee went 2×5 with an RBI tonight and has now recorded an RBI in 6 straight games…the last time Lee went at least 6 straight games with an RBI was from 5/6-11/2008 (also 6 games)…Lee’s run in 2008 also marks the last time an Astro had an RBI in 6 straight.
• SS Clint Barmes picked up another 2 hits tonight, both doubles, and now has hits in 5 straight games, hitting at a .526 (10×19) clip in that time frame…in those last 5 games, Barmes has 6 doubles.
RED SOX NOTES:
• The Red Sox came back from a 4-run deficit to win behind a 6-run 7th inning…entering tonight, the club already led the American League in batting average in the 7th inning or later and increased that mark up to .276 (258×936) by going 6×15 in those frames tonight…the Sox have now scored 74 runs in the 7th inning this season (no other MLB club has more than 47).
• With the win, the Sox improved to 8-8 this season in Interleague games…the club has gone 17-8 overall in their last 25 games and have outscored their opponents 155-93 over that span.
• SS Marco Scutaro led off tonight’s game with his 2nd homer this season…it marked his 5th career leadoff home run and his 1st since 4/30/09 at KC…it was also the 3rd leadoff homer by a Red Sock this season, both of them previously hit by Jacoby Ellsbury, most recently accomplished on 6/17 vs. MIL…tonight marked Scutaro’s 1st time to bat leadoff this season.
• 2B Dustin Pedroia went 1×3 with 2 walks and 2 RBI including the game-tying 2-run single in the 6th inning…including tonight, Pedroia has reached base safely in 15 straight games (since 6/15), hitting .333 (19×57) with a .451 OBP.
• 1B Adrian Gonzalez accounted for the go-ahead runs with a 2-run double in the 7th frame…with 2 RBI tonight, Gonzalez increased his Major League leading RBI total to 73.
• C Humberto Quintero began his rehab assignment for Triple A Oklahoma City tonight in their game at Memphis…Quintero caught 5.0 innings and went 1×3 with a double and a run scored…he scored from 2nd base on the play and had no complaints about his injured right ankle.
RED SOX EXTRAS:
• Jacoby Ellsbury was scratched from tonight’s lineup due to illness, marking his 1st missed game of the season.