Astros post-game notes for Saturday
• For the 2nd straight game, the Astros connected for 2 home runs in tonight’s contest…the club hit 2+ home runs in consecutive games just twice last season, most recently on 8/22-23 at COL.
• RHP Lucas Harrell tossed 7.0 innings tonight, a career high, without allowing a run or a walk…Harrell’s victory was his 1st since his Major League debut with the White Sox on 7/30/10 vs. OAK…Harrell now has 3 career starts in an Astros uniform, in which he’s gone 1-0 with a 1.76 ERA (3ER/15.1IP).
• Astros starting pitchers have not allowed an earned run thru the club’s 1st 2 games of the season…Wandy Rodriguez went 6.1 innings last night, allowing 3 unearned runs, while Harrell tossed 7.0 shutout tonight.
• The Astros had a couple players record their 1st Major League hits tonight, both coming off Rockies starter Jamie Moyer…SS Marwin Gonzalez picked up his on a double in the 5th inning in what was his 5th career plate appearance…P Lucas Harrell followed Gonzalez with a bunt single, marking his 1st MLB hit…that was Harrell’s 4th career MLB plate appearance.
• RHP Rhiner Cruz also had a 1st tonight, making his Major League debut in the 9th inning…Cruz fanned the only hitter he faced (Cuddyer) to end the game.
• CF Jordan Schafer led off the bottom of the 1st inning with his 1st home run of the season…this marked Schafer’s 1st career leadoff home run and the 1st by an Astro since Jose Altuve hit a leadoff homer on 8/20/11 vs. SF (Bumgarner).
• LF J.D. Martinez connected for a 2-run home run in the 4th inning tonight, extending the Astros lead to 3-0…Martinez doubled in yesterday’s contest, giving him 2 extra-base hits and 3 RBI in 2 games.