Bogusevic has no regrets about time in Houston
Brian Bogusevic, drafted by the Astros in the first round of the 2005 as a pitcher and later moved to the outfield, became a free agent Saturday when the club outrighted him and removed him from the 40-man roster.
Bogusevic, 28, began last season as the Astros’ starting right fielder, but he struggled at the plate all season and wound up hitting .203 with seven home runs and 28 RBIs. He hit .287 with four homers and 15 RBIs in 87 games in 2011.
“It’s definitely a different feeling because it’s the first time I’ve been in this situation, but that’s the nature of the game and everybody is going to go through it at some point,” Bogusevic said.
The Astros also outrighted outfielder J.B. Shuck and right-handed pitchers Jorge De Leon, Chuckie Fick and Arcenie Leon. De Leon and Shuck cleared waivers and became free agents, while Fick was assigned to Triple-A Oklahoma City. Leon was claimed by the Brewers.
The moves put the Astros’ 40-man roster at 31
Bogusevic was a college All-American two-play player at Tulane when the Astros drafted him with the No. 24 overall pick in ’05. Some teams viewed him as an outfielder, but the Astros saw his future on the mound. He made 77 Minor League appearances as a pitcher (64 starts) and was 14-21 with a 5.11 ERA.
The Astros moved Bogusevic to the outfield in ’08 and he spent nearly two full seasons at Triple-A Round Rock before making his Major League debut in 2010. His career highlight came last year when he hit a walk-off grand slam against the Cubs for his first pinch-hit home run.
Bogusevic said he had no regrets about his time in the organization.
“It was definitely a different experience than most people have,” he said. “But I mean, I was happy with my time there, but it’s time to move on.”