Martinez backs out of World Baseball Classic

Astros outfielder Fernando Martinez arrived in camp Tuesday morning and said he’s not going to play in the World Baseball Classic. Martinez was going to play for Spain, though he was born in the Dominican Republic.

“I’m not going to play,” he said. “I’m going to stay here and prepare for the season.”

Martinez, claimed off waivers from the Mets a year ago, hit .237 with six homers and 14 RBIs in 118 at-bats last year for Houston, playing in a career-high 41 games. Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow said earlier this year Martinez would hurt his chances of making the club by playing in the Classic, and Martinez heard the message.

“I just thought about and I figured it would be a lost couple of weeks and I want to make the team here,”  he said.

Astros pitcher Chia-Jen Lo was originally scheduled to participate in the Classic as well, but had a change of heart.

3 Comments

I think with the WBC coinciding with ST you’ll see a lot of the younger players opting not to participate. ST is such a huge part of preparing for the season and showing you should make the team, missing it could very well be the deciding factor on whether one player is chosen over another.

Pingback: Fernando Martinez heard the Astros’ message loud and clear | HardballTalk

Martinez is qite possibly on his last leg, so to speak. He needs to get with the program, or he might get DFA’d. There are a *LOT* of outfielders in camp
and every one of them want’s a job.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 72 other followers

%d bloggers like this: