Martinez to see doctor, could be headed to DL

After an exceptionally healthy spring camp, the Astros may have to put outfielder Fernando Martinez on the disabled list.

Martinez, who’s made the club as one of the team’s backup outfielders, was scratched from the lineup for Thursday’s game against the Tigers and he admitted going on the DL was a possibility. He missed a week earlier this spring with lower back tightness and will be examined by a doctor Friday in Houston.

“I think it’s the [left] oblique right now,” Martinez said. “I feel a little more pain right now than I did before. Hopefully a couple of days off and I’ll be back.”

Martinez said the team has discussed possibly having to put him on the disabled list. The Astros are taking a bevy of extra players to Houston, so they wouldn’t have to go reach to find his roster replacement. Trevor Crowe and J.D. Martinez were among the last outfielders cut from camp.

Martinez is holding out hope he won’t have to go on the DL.

“I can play like that, but sometimes when I throw and I swing I feel a little pain,” he said.

The 24-year-old left-handed hitter batted .237 with six homers and 14 RBIs in 41 games last year for the Astros, who claimed him off waivers on Jan. 11, 2012.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 74 other followers

%d bloggers like this: