Astros rookie outfielder George Springer was out of the lineup for a second consecutive game Tuesday with soreness in his right knee/quadriceps area.
Springer, who hit his 20th homer Saturday and didn’t play in Sunday’s series finale against the White Sox, did some baseball drills prior to Tuesday’s series opener at O.co Coliseum to test the leg and still had enough discomfort that didn’t allow him to play.
“I went out and did some stuff and just got some discomfort and we’ll take it from there,” Springer said.
When asked if was his knee or quad that was bothering him more, Springer said it was “overall discomfort.” He wasn’t sure when he would be able return to action, but as of now the situation doesn’t appear to warrant a stint on the disabled list.
“I don’t have a clue,” he said. “I just got to get through it and see what happens.”
Astros manager Bo Porter waited until Springer finished working out with the trainers before filling out his lineup, which again had Enrique Hernandez in center field.
“We wanted to allow him to get treatment and the training staff brought him out and went through some drills, and we went through some running and feel if he’s not able to go full speed without having discomfort, we don’t want to take any chances of it getting worse or him blowing his quad or doing something where we’re dealing with an injury that will take much longer to heal than where we’re at right now,” he said.
Porter said the DL currently isn’t an option.
“As time goes on, the information we get each and every day will allow us to make that decision as we move forward,” he said. “When you look at the 15-day DL, you have to ask yourself, ‘Is he not going to play within the next 15 days?’ and we’re not at that point right now.”
Sunday was right-hander Jarred Cosart’s scheduled day to pitch, but the Astros choose to start Brad Peacock and give Cosart some extra rest. He’s thrown 105 2/3 innings in the first half, which puts him on pace to best his personal high of 153 set last year between Triple-A Oklahoma City and the Astros.
Cosart’s arm feels fine, but he said general manager Jeff Luhnow indicated to him his workload would increase by 20 percent each season until he reaches 200 innings. That means he could be shut down around 183 2/3 innings this year.
“When I first came over here, Jeff said they were going to do a 20-percent increase in my innings every year until I got to 200,” Cosart said. “By that time, I’ll have a couple of years under my belt and hopefully we’ll be fighting for a playoff spot, so my innings won’t really matter. They didn’t tell me an exact number [of innings], but if you go off 20 percent of last year, it would be right around .”
Cosart was shut down last Sept. 9 after throwing 60 innings in 10 starts in his debut with the Astros. He had thrown 93 at Triple-A Oklahoma City.
“That’s tough to have to sit and watch for about a month,” Cosart said. “I’ll take missing one now. I’m not hurt or anything like that, so I support the decision. I know I have a 190-innings limit, so if I average five or six a start I’m going to be cutting it close at the end of the year anyway.”
Astros manager Bo Porter is going with the hot hand, keeping rookie Enrique Hernandez in the starting lineup at shortstop for the second game in a row Saturday. Hernandez had three hits Friday and made a pair of outstanding defensive plays, probably saving at least three runs.
“He’s been playing really well,” Porter said. “You look at the way he played defensively yesterday, the way he played defensively in left field a couple of days ago and he continues to swing the bat well. He’s been a great addition to our ballclub.”
The Major League staff is still trying to get a feel for Hernandez, who wasn’t in big league camp. He made his Major League debut Wednesday and had an RBI double in his first at-bat, and then hit a homer Wednesday. He entered Saturday with six hits in 12 at-bats. Defensively, the 22-year-o.ld Hernandez ran down a ball in center to end the first inning Friday to strand the bases loaded, and he started a terrific double play in the hole to end the fifth. And he showed great arm strength, throwing out a runner from his knees.
“Defensively, I never quit on a ball,” he said. “I’m just going to go until someone calls me off, I catch the ball or the ball drops.”
Porter admitted Hernandez has been a spark to the team, though they’ve yet to win since he’s been up. Hernandez was drafted out of Puerto Rico in the sixth round in 2009.
“He’s definitely brought a spark to the team,” Porter said. “Again, it’s refreshing to see a guy rewarded for just performing at each and every level. He wasn’t in big league camp, so it’s not like the Major League staff had an opportunity to work with him or know him. He basically knocked the door down and played his way here and is continuing to knock down the door and play his way into the lineup. I like to see stories like that.”
The Astros’ player development department has named June’s Minor League Pitchers and Players of the Month at their four full-season affiliates and two Dominican Summer League affiliates. These awards are chosen every month by the field staff of each team.
At Triple-A Oklahoma City, RHP Nick Tropeano was named Pitcher of the Month after going 4-0 with a 2.02 ERA (eight earned runs/35 2/3 innings), 34 strikeouts and just seven walks in five starts during June. The 2011 fifth-round pick currently ranks third in the Pacific Coast League in ERA (2.38) and WHIP (0.95), and tied for eighth in strikeouts (81). After allowing four runs in his first start of the year, Tropeano has allowed three runs or less in each of his last 15 outings. Oklahoma City’s June Player of the Month award went to IF Gregorio Petit, who hit .370 (34-for-92) with five doubles, five homers, 18 RBIs and a .998 OPS (.389 on-base percentage/.609 slugging percentage) in 24 games in June.
LHP Luis Cruz received Double-A Corpus Christi’s June Pitcher of the Month honors after going 1-0 with a 1.29 ERA (three earned runs/21 innings) and 21 strikeouts in four starts during the month. The 23-year-old has posted a 5-5 record and a 3.16 ERA (24 earned runs/68 1/3 innings) with 63 strikeouts in 15 outings this season for the Hooks, holding opponents to a .228 batting average. Earning Corpus Christi’s June Player of the Month Award was OF Leo Heras, who hit .273 (18-for-66) with five doubles, one triple, two homers, 14 RBIs, six stolen bases and an .821 OPS (.351 on-base percentage/.470 slugging percentage) in 21 games in June. A native of Tijuana, Mexico, Heras was acquired from Los Diablos Rojos de Mexico of the Mexican League in August of 2013.
The Class A Advanced Lancaster Pitcher of the Month honors for June went to RHP Juan Minaya. The 23-year-old allowed just one earned run in his 9 1/3 innings of relief during the month (0.96 ERA), and struck out 10 batters with a .176 opponents’ average in his six June outings. IF Conrad Gregor took home Lancaster’s June Player of the Month award after batting .396 (38-for-96) with 11 doubles, one triple, six homers, 25 RBIs, 28 runs scored and a 1.182 OPS (.464 on-base percentage/.719 slugging percentage) in 24 games in June. A fourth-round pick in the 2013 draft out of Vanderbilt, Gregor led the California League in hits, extra base hits (18), total bases (69) and doubles during the month of June.
LHP Evan Grills was named the Class A Quad Cities June Pitcher of the Month after posting a 0.95 ERA (2 earned runs/19 innings) with just two walks and 17 strikeouts in his four appearances in June. Grills currently leads the River Bandits in innings pitched (76 2.3) and ranks seventh in the Midwest League in ERA (2.70). The club’s June Player of the Month award went to IF Tyler White, who hit .324 (22-for-68) with four doubles, one triple, five homers and a 1.079 OPS (.447 on-base percentage/.632 slugging percentage) in 22 June games. White ranks eighth in the Midwest League in OPS (.880) and sixth in OBP (.403).
In the Dominican Summer League, the Astros named a Pitcher and Player of the Month for each of their two clubs. For the DSL Astros Orange club, LHP Cristhopher Santamaria was named June Pitcher of the Month while IF Cristopher Luciano was named June Player of the Month. Santamaria went 1-1 with a 2.20 ERA and 25 strikeouts in his six June appearances. Luciano hit .301 (28-for-93) with seven doubles, one triple, two homers, 24 RBIs and an .887 OPS in 24 June games. For the DSL Astros Blue club, RHP Erasmo Pinales won Pitcher of the Month honors while IF Connor MacDonald picked up Player of the Month honors. In six June starts (five for the Astros Blue, one for the Astros Orange), Pinales went 1-0 with a 2.79 ERA (nine earned runs/29 innings) and 22 strikeouts. MacDonald, a native of Australia, hit .311 (28-for-90) with eight doubles, one triple, one homer, 17 RBIs and an .881 OPS in 25 games during the month.
Astros director of international Oz Ocampo will be in Venezuela on Wednesday for the start of the July 2 international signing period. He will then head to the Dominican Republic with hopes of signing some young talent, general manager Jeff Luhnow said.
The Astros once again have the largest pool of money to spend internationally at $5,015,400, and Luhnow says his club plans to be “reasonably aggressive.”
Colleague Jesse Sanchez has story about what to expect during the international signing period, as well as a list of Top 30 prospects.
“We’re hoping he comes back from both of those locations with agreements with several of what we believe will be the top players in this year’s class,” Luhnow said. “It’s a good class. It’s deep and has got pitchers, position players. I’m excited about it. I think we’re going to add a lot of depth to our system this year.”
A 16-year-old international player is eligible to sign with a Major League team between July 2 through June 15 of next year if the prospect turns 17 before Sept. 1 of this year or by the completion of his first Minor League season. Additionally, any prospect who is already 17 or older and has not previously signed a Major or Minor League contract, resides outside the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico and has not been enrolled in a high school or college in the U.S., Canada or Puerto Rico within the previous year is eligible to sign during the period.
There are also specific signing guidelines each team must follow, including penalties for exceeding spending limits.
Luhnow said offers will be made beginning Wednesday and agreements could be reached quickly in what has been described previously as a free-for-all.
“Once you sign them, it’s a matter of submitting it to Major League Baseball,” Luhnow said. “There are some kids that can’t sign until they turn 16 and that would be in later July or August, for the most part. The ones that are 16, you’ll see a lot of the top guys signed on July 2 or July 3 or right around then. We plan to be a part of that this year.”
The Astros are preparing to call up slugging outfield prospect Domingo Santana, along with infielder Enrique Hernandez and left-handed reliever Kevin Chapman, a baseball source told MLB.com early Tuesday.
The arrival of Santana would be the third top prospect the Astros have called up since mid-April, joining outfielder George Springer and first baseman Jonathan Singleton. Santana is rated by MLB.com as the organization’s No. 7-rated prospect.
The Astros optioned Jonathan Villar to Triple-A following Monday’s game, so Hernandez would take his place on the roster. It’s unclear what other roster moves would be made to accommodate Santana and Chapman. Veteran pitcher Jerome Williams was designated for assignment late Monday, but Anthony Bass has rejoined the team and is expected to come off the disabled list Tuesday.
Santana, one of four players acquired from the Phillies in the 2011 blockbuster deal that sent Hunter Pence to Philadelphia, was hitting .304 with 13 homers and 51 RBIs through 84 games for the RedHawks. He’s been playing right field. He would be the last of those four players to reach the Majors.
Hernandez went 3-for-5 with a home run and two doubles with a season-high four RBIs on Monday in Oklahoma City’s 10-6 win over Colorado Springs. He’s hitting .337 eight homers and 31 RBIs in 67 games for the RedHawks.
Chapman, who appeared in six games for the Astros earlier this year, has thrown in 26 games for Oklahoma City and has allowed only three earned runs in 28 2/3 innings (0.94 ERA), while striking out 37.
The Houston Astros issued the following statement this afternoon:
“Last month, we were made aware that proprietary information held on Astros’ servers and in Astros’ applications had been illegally obtained. Upon learning of the security breach, we immediately notified MLB security who, in turn, notified the FBI. Since that time, we have been working closely with MLB security and the FBI to the determine the party, or parties, responsible. This information was illegally obtained and published, and we intend to prosecute those involved to the fullest extent.
“It is unfortunate and extremely disappointing that an outside source has illegally obtained confidential information. While it does appear that some of the content released was based on trade conversations, a portion of the material was embellished or completely fabricated.”
• 2B Jose Altuve set an Astros franchise record by recording a steal in 6 consecutive games…has recorded multiple steals in 4 consecutive games…is the 3rd player in the Modern era and the 1st since Ray Chapman in 1917 to record multiple steals in 4 straight games…his 36 steals lead the AL and are a new career high for a single season (had 35 total steals in 2013).
• Altuve increased his Major League-leading hits total to 116 on the season…is just 7 hits shy of Bob Watson’s Astros franchise record for hits prior to the All-Star Break (123 hits set in 1973)…today was his 35th multi-hit game of the year, which leads the Majors…was his 4th consecutive multi-hit game…has recorded multiple hits in 9 of his last 12 games…has hit over .500 in his last 14 games since June 12 (.509, 28-for-55).
• Altuve hit his 100th career double today, becoming just the 12th player in franchise history to compile 100 career doubles and 100 career steals…the others are Craig Biggio, Jeff Bagwell, Cesar Cedeno, Jose Cruz, Jimmy Wynn, Terry Puhl, Kevin Bass, Bill Doran, Enos Cabell, Derek Bell and Joe Morgan
The Astros called up veteran right-hander Jose Veras from Triple-A Oklahoma City on Thursday and outrighted veteran right-hander Kyle Farnsworth off the active roster.
Farnsworth was signed by the Astros on May 17 and appeared in 16 games, posting a 6.17 ERA in 11 2/3 innings. He started the year with the Mets, who dumped him just a few days prior to him reaching $1 million salary bonus.
Veras played the first half of last season with the Astros before being traded to the Tigers and then signing with the Cubs last winter. He was projected to be the Cubs closer, but he lost that role after compiling an 8.10 ERA in 12 games.
Veras, 33, traded last midseason to Detroit after appearing in 42 games for the Astros and posted a 2.94 ERA with 19 saves in 43 innings. He was a strong presence in the Astros’ young clubhouse, and the team struggled to close out games after he was dealt.
Astros top prospect Carlos Correa will be out for the rest of the season after undergoing surgery Wednesday to repair a fracture of his fibula just above his right ankle, general manager Jeff Luhnow said.
Correa, the dynamic 19-year-old shortstop taken with the top pick in the 2012 First-Year Player Draft out of Puerto Rico, suffered the injury Saturday night while sliding into third base on an RBI triple playing for Class A Lancaster in Lake Elsinore, Calif.
Luhnow said the surgery, which was arthroscopic, went well and he doesn’t expect there to be any long-term effects.
Correa won’t be able to put any weight on the leg for four weeks and will be in a boot afterwards. It’s unclear when he’ll be able to return to baseball activities, but the team is hopeful he can be available in October to play in the Arizona Fall League or winter ball in November.
“We’ll have to see how the rehab goes,” Luhnow said. “It’s obviously unfortunate. He’s one of our top young players in the game, losing this amount of time, but we are optimistic he’s going to return to 100 percent and will back on the field with us ready to keep doing what he’s doing.”
What Correa was doing was tearing up the Minor Leagues. He was hitting .325 with six homers and 57 RBIs in 62 games for Lancaster, with an on-base percentage of .416 and an OPS of .926, putting him line to be promoted to Double-A Corpus Christi later this year.
It was expected that Correa would come to Spring Training next year competing for a spot on the Major League club.
“I talked to him several times over the past few days and he’s taking it about as well as any young man can take it,” Luhnow said. “It’s the first time he’s been injured. He did a lot of research, we talked to several doctors. His parents are here supporting him and he went into this with a very good attitude. He’s determined to work as hard as he can on his rehab and get back as soon as he can.
“Obviously, we’re going to probably have to slow him down a little bit because we want him to heal as well as he can. And with a player like that, he’s always going to want to push the envelope, so we’re going to have to figure that out. He understands this is the nature of professional baseball and he needs to work twice as hard to get back to where he was.”
Correa played the entire 2013 season at Class A Quad Cities at 18 years old and was impressive. He hit .320 with 33 doubles, nine homers, 86 RBIs and a .405 on-base percentage. Despite being the second-youngest player in the league, he led the Midwest League in OPS (.872), while ranking second in on-base percentage and third in batting average.