Results tagged ‘ 50 games ’
Jonathan Singleton, the top prospect in the Astros system, apologized to the organization, his teammates and his family Friday morning in his first public comments since he was suspended 50 games for a second failed drug test.
Singleton, in an arranged meeting with the media before the start of a Minor League minicamp, took responsibilities for his actions and said he was looking forward to getting back on the field.
“I believe this is an opportunity for me to leave the past behind,” he said.
Singleton will begin the season at extended Spring Training before reporting to Triple-A Oklahoma City when his suspension is up. He won’t be eligible to play for the RedHawks until their May 26 game at Iowa. He’s eligible to play in Major League Spring Training games.
“I’m going to work harder than ever pretty much to stay in shape and I’ll be ready when the time comes,” he said.
Singleton, a left-handed-hitting first baseman who expected to start the season at Triple-A Oklahoma City, hit .284 with 21 homers and 79 RBIs in 131 games last year at Double-A Corpus Christi. The club acquired him from the Phillies in the Hunter Pence trade in 2011.
“He’s got a bright future in this organization and we feel his mindset is exactly where it needs to be given the situation that occurred and he’s ready to move forward,” general manager Jeff Luhnow said. “He’s got to serve the suspension. That’s part of the rules, he knows that and he’s owning up to it. We feel good about where he is mentally and physically and he is in great shape.”
Singleton said he’s appreciative of the support he’s received from Luhnow and manager Bo Porter.
“It’s time to change,” he said. “A new opportunity is on the horizon. It’s definitely time to move forward.”
When he was suspended on Jan. 9, Singleton issued a statement saying he had tested positive for marijuana. He admitted watching his teammates play while he can’t will be difficult.
“I’ll be a little anxious, you could say,” he said. “Once the suspension is up, I’ll be excited to play again.”
Singleton said the suspension was a wake-up call.
“I guess it was, in a way, but I’m accepting my consequences and moving forward,” he said.
Not long after he failed a drug test that forced Major League Baseball to suspend him for the first 50 games of the 2013 season, Astros top prospect Jonathan Singleton had a heart-to-heart talk with manager Bo Porter about responsibility and the road ahead.
Singleton, ranked by MLB.com as the top prospect in the Astros organization, issued a statement following his Jan. 9 suspension apologizing to the team while admitting he tested positive for marijuana. It was his second failed test.
“I just explained to him, I said, ‘Listen, your life is at a crossroads. No one can sit here and say they’ve never made mistakes, but now your next move will go a long way in determining how you’re going to rectify this mistake,’” Porter said.
Porter said Singleton was apologetic in person, as well. He will have to sit out the first 50 games of the season, but can participate in Spring Training.
“I wanted him to know the whole organization is behind him rectifying this mistake and moving on in his baseball career,” Porter said. “I said, ‘Jonathan, this is not about Jonathan Singleton, the ball player. This is about Jonathan Singleton, the man.’ Because if we get the man right, we’re going to get the baseball player. But if we don’t get the man right, we’re never going to get the baseball player. I explained to him, ‘Now the ball is in your court, and it’s time for you to do your part.’”