Results tagged ‘ Enrique Hernandez ’
Astros manager Bo Porter is going with the hot hand, keeping rookie Enrique Hernandez in the starting lineup at shortstop for the second game in a row Saturday. Hernandez had three hits Friday and made a pair of outstanding defensive plays, probably saving at least three runs.
“He’s been playing really well,” Porter said. “You look at the way he played defensively yesterday, the way he played defensively in left field a couple of days ago and he continues to swing the bat well. He’s been a great addition to our ballclub.”
The Major League staff is still trying to get a feel for Hernandez, who wasn’t in big league camp. He made his Major League debut Wednesday and had an RBI double in his first at-bat, and then hit a homer Wednesday. He entered Saturday with six hits in 12 at-bats. Defensively, the 22-year-o.ld Hernandez ran down a ball in center to end the first inning Friday to strand the bases loaded, and he started a terrific double play in the hole to end the fifth. And he showed great arm strength, throwing out a runner from his knees.
“Defensively, I never quit on a ball,” he said. “I’m just going to go until someone calls me off, I catch the ball or the ball drops.”
Porter admitted Hernandez has been a spark to the team, though they’ve yet to win since he’s been up. Hernandez was drafted out of Puerto Rico in the sixth round in 2009.
“He’s definitely brought a spark to the team,” Porter said. “Again, it’s refreshing to see a guy rewarded for just performing at each and every level. He wasn’t in big league camp, so it’s not like the Major League staff had an opportunity to work with him or know him. He basically knocked the door down and played his way here and is continuing to knock down the door and play his way into the lineup. I like to see stories like that.”
The Astros are preparing to call up slugging outfield prospect Domingo Santana, along with infielder Enrique Hernandez and left-handed reliever Kevin Chapman, a baseball source told MLB.com early Tuesday.
The arrival of Santana would be the third top prospect the Astros have called up since mid-April, joining outfielder George Springer and first baseman Jonathan Singleton. Santana is rated by MLB.com as the organization’s No. 7-rated prospect.
The Astros optioned Jonathan Villar to Triple-A following Monday’s game, so Hernandez would take his place on the roster. It’s unclear what other roster moves would be made to accommodate Santana and Chapman. Veteran pitcher Jerome Williams was designated for assignment late Monday, but Anthony Bass has rejoined the team and is expected to come off the disabled list Tuesday.
Santana, one of four players acquired from the Phillies in the 2011 blockbuster deal that sent Hunter Pence to Philadelphia, was hitting .304 with 13 homers and 51 RBIs through 84 games for the RedHawks. He’s been playing right field. He would be the last of those four players to reach the Majors.
Hernandez went 3-for-5 with a home run and two doubles with a season-high four RBIs on Monday in Oklahoma City’s 10-6 win over Colorado Springs. He’s hitting .337 eight homers and 31 RBIs in 67 games for the RedHawks.
Chapman, who appeared in six games for the Astros earlier this year, has thrown in 26 games for Oklahoma City and has allowed only three earned runs in 28 2/3 innings (0.94 ERA), while striking out 37.