Results tagged ‘ June ’
Here are the Astros’ Minor League players of the month for June, as chosen by the field staff of each team:
- Triple A-Round Rock: RHP Josh Banks posted a 3-1 record and a 1.50 ERA in four starts in June to earn his second consecutive Round Rock Pitcher of the Month honors. Outfielder Drew Locke was named Offensive Player of the Month after hitting .317 with 14 extra-base hits, including 10 doubles, and 15 RBIs in 28 June games. C Jason Castro, who’s been playing with the Astros since June 22, received Round Rock’s Defensive Player of the Month honors after playing in 15 games with the Express this month. On the season, he posted a .994 fielding percentage and caught 13 of 34 attempted base stealers at Triple-A.
- Double-A Corpus Christi: After posting a 1-2 record and a 2.10 ERA in five games, four starts, in June, RHP Jordan Lyles was named Pitcher of the Month for the Hooks. Lyles, 19, was also named to the XM All-Star Futures Game and the Texas League All-Star game in June. OF J.B. Shuck was named Offensive Player of the Month for the second straight month after hitting .347 with a .426 on-base percentage and seven RBIs. 3B Jhon Florentino, who has played 70 games at third base this season, earned Defensive Player of the Month honors and owns a .936 fielding percentage at the hot corner in 2010.
- Class A Advanced Lancaster: JetHawks Pitcher of the Month LHP Patrick Urckfitz owned a 1-0 record and a 2.08 ERA, while striking out 25 and walking only three in six games (one start) in June. OF Lee Cruz hit .400 with 11 doubles, three home runs and 21 RBIs en route to receiving the Offensive Player of the Month award. The Defensive Player of the Month was OF Brandon Barnes, who has posted a .969 fielding percentage with 15 outfield assists while playing primarily right field this season.
- Class A Lexington: Pitcher of the Month RHP Zach Grimmett finished the month 1-0 with a 1.80 ERA and posted a 0.85 WHIP (walks and hits per innings pitched) in seven relief appearances for Lexington. OF J.D. Martinez was named Offensive Player of the Month for the second time this season after hitting .356 with 14 extra-base hits, a .420 on-base percentage and 13 RBIs in 25 games. OF Jacob Goebbert received Defensive Player of the Month honors for the second time this season and owns a .985 fielding percentage as Lexington’s left fielder in 2010.
- Rookie Level Dominican Summer League: LHP Francisco Baso posted a 3-3 record with one save and a 2.93 ERA in six games to earn Pitcher of the Month honors for the DSL Astros. The Offensive Player of the Month honor was awarded to 2B Yonathan Mejia, who hit .310 with seven RBIs. OF Ydarqui Marte earned the Defensive Player of the Month for the Astros after posting a .983 fielding percentage with four outfield assists in 31 games in the outfield this season.