Results tagged ‘ Mets preview ’
- The Astros and Mets each came into the National League in the expansion of 1962. Since then, the Astros have arguably enjoyed more regular-season success, though only the Mets have won world titles.
Category Mets Astros
Wins (regular season) 3,824 3,952
Postseasons 7 9
First Place 5 6
World Championships 2 0
Head-to-head wins 256 304
- The Astros are drawing over a walk more per game this season than they did in 2011. Last year, they were last in the league at 2.5 walks per game. So far this season, they’re seventh at 3.6 walks per game.
- Right-handed hitting third baseman Chris Johnson has demonstrated a reverse platoon split through the season’s first month. He enters Monday hitting .333 against right-handers (23-for-69) and .067 against left-handers (1-for-15).
- After going 3-for-5 on Sunday, Jose Altuve’s .373 batting average ranks among the best ever by any Astros player through the team’s first 22 games. The only higher averages through 22 games are Cesar Cedeno in 1972 (.375), Joe Morgan in 1966 (.375), Billy Hatcher in 1987 (.391) and Derek Bell in 1998 (.402).
- It’s been five days since Bud Norris pitched last Tuesday. Unlike 2011, when he fared much better on only four days of rest, Norris’ early returns in 2012 when working on longer rest have been more positive. He’s 1-1 with an 8.49 ERA on four days of rest and 0-0 with a 3.46 ERA on five days of rest.